Saturday, February 21, 2009

Will You Respect Me For My Mind?

I’ve always wanted to be a genius. I admire brains over brawn. If you were to give me a choice between the mind of Einstein and the abilities of Michael Jordan, it would be no contest. I would take the mind. You could even throw in all the money Michael has made and it would still be no contest. I’d pick the increased I. Q.


The only problem is that even with a greatly expanded intelligence my mind would still be that very, very slow drip of water from a faucet compared to the infinite Niagara that is the mind of God. All of which brings us to the question asked by David in Psalm 8:4. “What is man that thou art mindful of him?” (KJV) What does God get out of His relationship with us? I think that there may be two answers.


First, God gets to love us because He wants to. God loves us because God is love. God is kind to us because it is His nature to be kind. God is the kindest being. He is the most compassionate being. All the love and kindness and compassion that exist in the universe originally came from God. Everything about God is infinite. His love, His compassion, and His kindness are infinite. God loves us because it is His nature to love. That’s one reason why God made us.


The other reason why God made us is so that we could love Him back.

No comments: