Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Prosperity

Thanks to the internet and charge accounts, I can now go bankrupt without even leaving my house. Amazon.com, I love you, but sometimes you worry me. I hope you are beginning to realize that when you watch TV you are entering enemy territory and that when you reach for your wallet (especially the plastic) that you are engaging in spiritual war. Some common sense advice that we have all heard can have a huge impact if we follow the advice from a spiritual perspective.

Create a “want list” and impose a cooling off period on your impulse spending. Write down that thing that you want and give it a couple of days before you make your decision. But instead of just looking at it from an economic standpoint, I wonder if we shouldn’t looking at it from a spiritual standpoint. I’m beginning to pray along these lines. “Lord, is this thing tugging at my heart? It’s okay to buy it and enjoy it, but has this thing wormed it’s way into a place that should be reserved for you alone? Help me to understand the spiritual impact of things in my life.”

Here is another prayer I have been praying. “Lord, help me to come to the place where more of my recreational time is spent seeking your presence, instead of using the trivialities of my recreational time to mask my desperate heart hunger for You.”


No comments: