Monday, May 26, 2008

Why me, Lord?

How come I have never been able to have a brand new car?

Why do I have the freedom, and the prosperity, to travel 2,000 miles every summer, just because I like to go backpacking in the Rockies? Why do I get to cruise along, in air conditioned comfort, listening to perfectly reproduced music, sitting on a car seat that is probably more comfortable than any piece of furniture my ancestors ever owned? Why do I get to fly along the ground at 75 miles an hour, covering more distance in an hour than people used to be able to travel in a week?

Why do my wife and I get to own two cars when in many places of the world people have to use motor scooters or animal powered transportation? Why do I get to own a bicycle with 18 gears that is used strictly for recreation and exercise, when many people in the third world can’t afford a bicycle that would be their only mode of transportation?

Why me, Lord?

No comments: