Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lessons from Jonathan’s Edward’s Spiritual Journey, Part 4

Many years later, Mrs. Edwards had an experience that she recorded in her journal. “These words, in Rom. 8:34, came into my mind. ‘Who is he who condemneth; it is Christ that died; yea rather that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of god, who also maketh intercession for us.’” Note that the entire experience began with a thought, with a Bible doctrine. She said that the thought expressed in this verse “occasioned great sweetness and delight in my soul. But when I was alone, the words came to my mind with far greater power and sweetness. They appeared to me with undoubted certainty as the words of God, and as words which God did pronounce concerning me … I cannot find language to express how certain this appeared … Melted by the sweetness of this assurance, I fell into a great flow of tears … The presence of god was so near and so real that I seemed scarcely conscious of anything else … The peace and happiness, which I hereupon felt, was altogether inexpressible. I seemed to be lifted above earth and hell, out of the reach of everything here below.” (pgs. 194, 195)

No comments: