Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lessons from Jonathan’s Edward’s Spiritual Journey, Part 7

Edward's daughter Ester was married to Aaron Burr, a minister who died in his early 40’s, leaving her a widow. Shortly thereafter, her infant son Aaron went down with an infection and was presumed to be dying. In the midst of this turmoil, Ester had a remarkable encounter with God. (Note the similarities to her mother’s experience previously recorded.) “One evening, in talking about the glorious state my dear departed husband must be in, my soul was carried out in such large desires after that glorious state, that I was forced to retire from the family to conceal my joy. When alone, I was so transported, and my soul carried out in such eager desires after perfection and the full enjoyment of God, and to serve him uninterruptedly, that I think nature could not have borne much more. I think … that I had that night a foretaste of heaven. This frame continued, in some good degree, the whole night. I slept but little, and when I did, my dreams were all of heavenly and divine things.”

No comments: