Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Where to Invest

I thought I had it all figured out. Put everything in a mutual fund that mirrors the Standard and Poor’s 500. And just leave it there. Historically that will outperform the interest you can get from CD’s or bonds. And it will probably outperform any portfolio of stocks that you pick for yourself or have a broker pick for you.

This may still be good investment advice for a younger person. For someone my age, well, let’s just say I wish that I had moved it all into an interest bearing account right before the market tanked. It might also have been a good move to use all of my retirement money to buy gold if I had done it before the market tanked. The problem with gold, of course, is where are you going to store it? Somebody could steal it.

That being said, my other account is doing great! All it does is get bigger and bigger, no matter what the economy does. And nobody can steal it. Bernie Madoff can’t con me out of it. That is because I have set aside “treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.” (Matt. 6:20 NASB)

Every single penny that has gone into the offering plate is growing at interest. God remembers every dime. And He has promised to reward me.

No comments: