Thursday, October 15, 2009

5) It's a hotel California that you won't want to leave

The presence of God is heaven. There may be golf courses and bike paths, but you won’t leave the golf course and head for the temple so that you can enter into the presence of God. You’ll always be in the presence of God.

Awhile back I share with you what I find to be the most amazing verse in the Bible. “Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.” (John 15:9 NASB) How can this verse be more amazing than John 3:16? Well, there are people out there I might be willing to rescue. I might even be willing to die to save them. But I wonder if I would be willing to have them move into my house and stay there for the rest of eternity? I want Nancy to be in my condo with me when we get to heaven. And I want her to stay there for the rest of eternity. My kids are also welcome, but they might be more comfortable living next door with their own mates (once God brings them together). I know what you’re thinking: in heaven we won’t be male or female or married to each other. Okay, fine! But I still want Nancy in my condo. Or maybe it will be her condo.

As for the rest of you? I want you close by. I want to visit. But I’m not sure, in my present configuration, that I want you to stay in my condo for the rest of eternity. (For the record, when we get to heaven, we will be made so perfect in love that we will all want to live in the same condo, but that’s not exactly the point I am trying to make just now.)

God wants me to live in His condo. For the rest of eternity. He doesn’t love me with a love that says, “I love you enough to save you, and I want you to come and visit me in heaven, but would you please not overstay your welcome when you come to visit?” God loves us so much that He wants us to come and visit. And then He never, ever wants us to leave. Not even for one moment. Not even for one moment in all the endless ages to come.

No comments: