Thursday, October 8, 2009

2) Why don’t we associate God with pleasure?

We are born spiritually, morally, and psychologically handicapped. We are born in sin. It infects every part of our being. If we surrender to sin and begin to live for and in it’s lusts, we will utterly destroy ourselves. Because of this it is necessary for God to warn us. “Thou shalt not!”

This is why it is hard for you to open your heart to God. Over and over again God has stood between you and some sinful pleasure that you have desired and He has said, “Thou shalt not!” How can He be the God of joy when there is so much that He forbids?

Once upon a time I was a pastor in a very small town. I heard that a small boy had been hit by a car and taken to the local hospital. When I visited that family in the hospital, I discovered a heart breaking scene. The little boy was in intensive care and he was screaming with pain. I was sure that the doctors would soon show up with powerful drugs that would ease the pain, but I was wrong. There was a possible head injury. No pain relief could be given for at least 24 hours. The boy looked to be about four years old. He just kept crying and wailing and screaming. There was nothing anyone could do.

My own children were quite young at the time. First grade and preschool if I recall correctly. Darting around the neighborhood on their bikes. In and out of the road at times. When I got home I pulled them up into my lap and told them about the horrible thing I had just witnessed. And I reminded them, I pled with them, not to enter or cross the street without looking both ways. And as I held them there I realized I was giving them a commandment. “Thou shalt not run into the street without looking both ways!” And I had a sudden insight into the heart of God.

He is not a hard hearted God, He is a broken hearted God. And when He says, “Thou shalt not!” He is taking you up in His lap and pleading with you not to destroy yourself.

No comments: