Thursday, July 9, 2009

The News #8

I want to talk to you about the legal system. We have a new president and he has made his first supreme court nomination. The political conservatives are distraught. “We’ll have to live with this person for the rest of their life. Progress is be made in the wrong direction and we will never get it undone.”

I don’t think so. Brothers and sisters, this thing I’m about to tell you is so real to me that I can almost see it the way I can see a physical thing. The president only has a little power and authority; we have a lot. We should have millions of Christians praying daily by name for every federal judge in the country. I wish I had enough people reading this blog to organize something of that magnitude, but if a few of you will join me in prayer we can still do a mighty work by the grace of God.

Before I tell you what I want you to pray for, I want you to imagine what it would be like to be standing in front of a judge awaiting your sentence. You were a criminal. You’ve spent your whole life lying and scheming and gotten away with a whole lot. But now it has come to an end. You couldn’t weasel your way out of this one. You’ve been found guilty. You’re going to jail for a long time. Your mind is racing. Isn’t there some lie you can tell, some trick you can play? You look around and realize that if you try anything the guards will grab you. Seething with anger you realize that your goose is finally cooked. You are going to have to pay for your crime. You are in someone else’s power and there is absolutely nothing you can do to get out of it.

People in the legal system are used to that scenario because they have witnessed it many times; but most of them have no real idea what it would feel like to be in that situation. I want you to pray that the Holy Spirit will cause every judge and lawyer in this country to know exactly what that feels like. Only instead of having them know what it feels like to be in front of a human judge, I want you to pray that they will be given a vision of what it will be like to stand before God in judgment as He prepares to cast them into hell.

No comments: