Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tactics #2

The New Testament teaches us that we are in a battle with dark, spiritual powers. We sometimes act on a strategic level when we pray. About twenty years ago I was led to start praying that God would appear to people in closed Muslim countries in dreams and visions to give them the gospel. Years later I started receiving reports from a number of organizations who export gospel materials into some of those nations. They were hearing from a significant number of people from a wide array of closed, Muslim countries, who were all telling the same story. A man appeared to them in a vision. He said His name was Jesus. He told them some of the basic facts about Himself. The people who had these experiences were writing to ask for more information about this Jesus person. I suspect that many of you could share stories with me about how God has used you in some small way in strategic prayer.

But what about tactics? As I never tire of pointing out, the fallen angels know what they are going to do. Do you know what you are going to do?

The New Testament tells me that the truth can set me free as I am renewed by the transformation of my mind. How can I transform my mind?

The Bible tells me that with every temptation there is a way of escape (I Cor. 10:13). Can you give me three examples of ways you’ve found that help you escape from a temptation? The enemy knows how to tempt. Do you know how to escape?

I can be snared by the devil and held captive to do his will. What is a snare and how do I escape?

In 2 Cor. 2:10-12 Paul reminds the Corinthians that they were not ignorant about Satan’s schemes. How about us? Could you, off the top of your head, explain two or three tactics of Satan and what you might do to combat them? It’s like the church is calling people to get in the army and go through that door of the building where enemy troops might be, but it is failing to train the troops exactly how they might go about doing that.

Any theory of holiness that doesn’t stress these things is out of balance or incomplete. Whatever it means to be “dead to sin,” it does not mean that I don’t have a fight on my hands. I may or may not be able to enter into John Wesley’s perfect love, but there is no state I can enter into where I won’t need the full armor of God as I engage in the struggle. I don’t care if you can speak in six different kinds of tongues and sing in four more, you need to be able to detect, avoid, or escape from the snares of the devil.

I was taught a little bit about wrestling in gym class as a kid. Basically wrestling is about moves and counter moves. Back and forth, back and forth, for everything that you try and do to me there is a counter move I can use to defend myself. The guy who can think and act most quickly will probably win because he can come up with attacks faster than his opponent can remember how to come up with the counter moves.

Wrestling is up close and personal. And it’s just like spiritual warfare. Satan knows what he’s going to do. Do you know what you’re going to do? I hope you will stick with me as I continue to develop this topic. Pray for me that I will get it right. And whatever theories of holiness you have been taught, always remember that while we are in this life we “wrestle against . . . principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world.” (Eph. 6:12 KJV)

No comments: