Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reality 101 #8

God is up to something in this universe, but what exactly is He up to? I would suggest that the only way to make sense of things is to keep the ultimate goal firmly in mind.

For instance, I might work up a great deal of sweat digging in the ground looking for a particular kind of rock. Once I found this rock I might take another rock and attempt to pulverize the first rock. Then I would build the hottest fire I could build and attempt to melt the pulverized rock. Once the rock was melted I would attempt to separate part of the liquid and let it cool. Once it cooled I would take it and heat it over and over again as I pounded it and shaped it. All of this sounds like a great deal of very hard work. Why would anyone subject themselves to such a thing?

You would be willing to do this work if you lived in primitive culture and you really wanted something made of iron. You would understand that if you had an iron plow, you could till soil in a way you never could without the iron plow. The end result would be much bigger harvests and greater comfort and security for your family. If all you are thinking about is the process, then it’s dirty, it’s hard, and it doesn’t make any sense. It is only when you understand the final goal that the whole thing seems worthwhile.

Reality, the actual lives that we have to live right now, will never really make any sense unless we understand God’s final goal.

No comments: