Saturday, September 13, 2008

Rest #3

There are two key concepts to a successful Sabbath. First, don’t do any work. Don’t mow the lawn and don’t work out. Do spend some extra time in His presence. Focus on paper plates and microwave food. Don’t do any complicated cooking (unless cooking is a relaxing hobby). Feel free to watch some TV or play Scrabble. Try not to do any kind of work.

The second key to a good Sabbath is to enter into a restful state of mind. You might want to think of it as a vacation state of mind. Once a year my wife and I leave everything behind and retreat to the wilderness. From the moment my butt hits the car seat until the moment when I am pulling back into the driveway at the end of the trip I enter into a restful state of mind. If I find myself thinking about work, I tell myself to stop (unless the Lord is speaking to me about something work related). If something worrisome comes into my mind, I remind myself that I am mentally on vacation and change the subject. I’ll deal with that later, when I am back from vacation.

Your Sabbath is a one day weekly vacation. It is a gift God wants you to give to yourself. If you find yourself thinking about anything the least bit stressful, remind yourself that you are on vacation (Sabbath). You can think about tackling that problem tomorrow. Today is a day of rest.

No comments: