Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rest #2

I want to suggest that you begin to practice the art of the Sabbath. Pick a twenty four hour period every week and plan to rest. The Jewish Sabbath was from sundown Friday until sundown on Saturday, but you don’t have to use that time period. Any twenty four hours in the week will do. I go to church on Saturday night so I have decided to rest from 5:00 p.m. on Saturday through 5:00 p.m. on Sunday.

As the years have rolled along I have become aware of the fact that there is too much tension in my life, too much stress. I’ve tried to address it in the past, but I’ve never been truly successful at it. While I was meditating in the Rockies on our annual backpacking trip the Lord directed my attention to the concept of the Sabbath. If you want to reduce the stress in your life, you need to learn to rest.

No comments: