Saturday, January 24, 2009

Prosperity

I first began to realize that the commercials might be the most dangerous thing on TV back in the 1980’s. I was working as the pastor of a very, very small church and we were as poor as proverbial church mice. Mostly the lack of money didn’t bother me. I was doing what I loved.

There were times, however, when driving an old rusty car seemed to bother me. It didn’t bother me all the time, and I began to wonder why this was so. Then I noticed that the time I was most likely to be bothered was in the spring and early summer. And that’s when I realized that it was all Larry Bird’s fault.

I was a Boston Celtic’s fan. And the Celtics were great in the 1980’s. They made the playoffs every year. And I seldom missed a game. Guess who one of the major advertisers of sports program is? Car companies.

No comments: